Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Edinborough

Blech!! This is my third attempt at this post!  Blogspot keeps locking up on me!!  So I'm on an actual desktop computer, hoping IT will cooperate.

OK, so we had a wee bit of wind today.  The sun shone, but we nearly blew away!!  OK, so it wasn't that bad, but it was pretty blustery.  We started out with our usual city tour on the bus.. saw the sights, saw the beautiful Georgian architecture that Edinborough is famous for.  It really is a lovely city, as our tour guide Michael would say!!  We then toured Holyrood Palace and Edinborough Castle.  We got to see some really neat pictures of the royal family at the Palace.  We've definitely learned a lot about the royalty and peerage during our time here in Britain.  It was especially windy for us at the Castle, as it is perched on a cliff above the city.  We then wandered down the "Royal Mile", did a wee bit of shopping, and ate a wee bite of lunch.  In case ya haven't picked up on it, the Scots LOVE the word "wee".  Use it all the time!  At one point, Meg and I ducked into a Starbucks for warmth, and I ordered a creme brulee macchiato.  I've had the caramel version many times, but this was a first.  And lets just say I hope it's not the last.. it was really good!  I'm hoping it's not just a British thing : )
Tonight we had a Highland dinner complete with music and dancing.  It was pretty neat!  They had a bagpiper there and it was really interesting to watch him.  I also was able to try a Scottish dish called haggis.  Let's just say it's the sheep meat equivalent of a hot dog or headcheese.  The leftovers all rolled into one big lump and then stored and sold in the sheep's stomach.  It was..edible.  But not really tasty!!  Tonight I developed an itchy rash on my elbows and arms.  Megan says it's from the wind and cold.  I say it's an allergic reaction to haggis!!!
Good nite.. sleep good..  I love and miss you all~!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see all your pics Lis! Sounds like soo much fun. Glad to have you home!

    ReplyDelete